Metformin is indicate in the treatment of –
- To decrease hepatic glucose production, and glucose absorption in the GIT.
- To increase target cell insulin sensitivity.
- Metformin 500mg
- Immediate release tablet:
- Initial: 500mg every 12hrs or 850mg daily with meals.
- Increase dose in increments of 500mg/week or 850mg/2weeks depending on glycaemic control and tolerability.
- Maintenance: 1500-2550mg/day in two or three divided doses with meal.
- Max. 2550mg/day.
- Extended-release tablet: 500mg daily with dinner, titrate with 500mg/day every week, not to exceed 2000mg/day.